What Are the Benefits of Alkaline Water?
What is Alkaline Water?
What are the benefits of alkaline water? First understand that alkaline is known to neutralize the acid in the bloodstream and allow the body to metabolize nutrients effectively. The word “alkaline” refers to the pH level indicating how acidic the water is on a scale of 0 to 14 with 1 being very acidic and 14 being very alkaline.
Normal = pH 7
Alkaline = pH 8-9
Drinking alkaline water can be helpful for certain conditions like acid reflux, high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol. Blood flows more efficiently with alkaline water and oxygen increases. Some other possible benefits include:
- Cancer resistance
- Immune system support
- Hydration of the skin
- Weight loss
- Anti-aging properties
*Use alkaline water in moderation because too much alkalinity can agitate the body’s normal pH and cause a condition called alkalosis.
To Wash Produce
Alkaline wash can remove over 95 percent of most pesticides from produce. Soak your produce, whether they’re organic or not, in alkaline water to cleanse them. The dirty dozen (certain fruit and veggies that are the most toxic due to organophosphate pesticides in them) should be completely avoided if they’re not soaked in alkaline water before consuming. By reducing the intake of toxicants, you keep from adding to the daily load of toxins taken in.
To Make Alkaline Water
- Take filtered water in a glass pitcher/container and add a whole sliced lemon (don’t squeeze it) to the water. Close the container and allow it to sit for 8-12 hours
- Take a teaspoon of baking soda and mix into a glass of water to alkalinize
- You can also install an alkalinizer on your faucet
- Alkaline drops can be purchased to add to filtered water
- Alkaline pitchers can be purchased